The Earth Mandala pertains to knowledge, wisdom, and technology needed to understand, foster and channel the Dragon as it is expressed in the physical world of form and energy. It is a gate that opens upon an inter-disciplinary path that instructs us how to fulfill our physical necessities for survival and our desires for prosperity, progeny, health, and sensual pleasure in an enlightened manner that engenders health and well-being for ourselves and all creatures.
By walking this path, we can transform our physical experience from one of struggle, selfishness, pain, scarcity, and fear to one of purpose, compassion, joy, abundance, and courage. We can begin to understand that our dependency upon the earth is fortuitous, that our basic condition of having to labor for our survival is a blessing rather than a curse, and that our prosperity can be fostered through understanding and living in accord with the laws of physical health and abundance.
It incorporates the first chakra, namely the Root, which is the seat of serpent energy (kundalini). This chakra links the individual with the physical world, giving rise to the experience of Being and the challenge of the acceptance of Being. The Root chakra serves as the foundation to evolve and build the personality. It channels basic energy experienced as self-espression, ambition, consistency, and desire for the security and survival of self and species.
There are several principles that comprise the Earth Mandala:
- The first is Gaia: Our lives, and the lives of all creatures, depend upon our planet's self-regulating ability to maintain optimum conditions for life to exist, and the biosphere--the community of life--is essential to that self-regulating ability. In effect, the Earth and we Earthlings comprise a super organism that has come to be known as Gaia. It is our responsibility to understand and appreciate Gaia, to live in balance with her, and act as good stewards.Essays relating to Gaia:
- The second is Sustainability: We must understand and foster knowledge and skillful practices that promote the greatest good in balance with all life, implementing appropriate technologies to meet energy, industry, travel, communication, food, clothing, shelter, and other needs for all generations to follow.
- The third is Community: We need to appreciate the preciousness of partnership, progeny, family, friendship and the global community of animals and plants upon which we are all dependent every moment of every day of our lives. Respect and compassion for all our relations is essential.
- The fourth is Health: Hygiene, diet, exercise, attitude, and sex are medicine and medical practice. To ignore or abuse such powerful medicine and to foster exclusive dependence upon allopathic forms of crisis management healthcare endangers self and others because it promotes irresponsibility. Sound general health is fostered through a lifestyle characterized by prevention, knowledge, self-discipline, and a culture of wisdom, living in accord with the needs of our body in themselves and in relation to others and the world at large.
- The fifth is Wise Self-Fulfillment: It is foolish to deny our ambitions for prosperity, power and sensual gratification because these are basic to human nature; so, we must understand how to fulfill our ambitions through means that are in harmony with the principles of Sustainability, Community and Health, otherwise we serve the demise of ourselves, others and ultimately Gaia.